Thursday, May 18, 2006

"I'm still in here...somewhere."


Today was a very difficult, emotional day. My mother in law Yvonne (in the picture to the left with my son Carter) has early onset of Alzheimer's disease. I've been touched by this disease because Justin and I are the closest family around her that can be there for her and help her. She does have a son close by too by he's so wrapped up in his own life that he doesn't even acknowlege her. And well she has two other kids that are extremely busy out in Ontario. So it's me and Justin and the kids. We've been on a long road trying to get Yvonne help and it came and once it came it all happened so fast. She was put on the emergency list to go into a dementia care cottage. Because the waiting list is so long you have to accept the offer and move within two days. Because of Justin's work schedule and what not he couldn't be there to move her in so I took her down. I think in the end it was better that I did it because it was emotional enough being my mother in law, I don't know what would have happened emotionally if it was my own flesh and blood. I was teary the whole time. It was a reality as to what her life is going to be like from this day forward and it's heartbreaking. Even though I'm on bedrest I thought tough it I'll rest there and I did, it was quite comfy and felt like home. I had to take her to the doctor in the afternoon so I brought Emily to the home to see what it was like and where Grams was going to be living. Then Justin came home and we thought it would be nice to show Grams how close we are and just pop in to say "goodnight" . Oh did her face light up. She was just glowing when her son walked through the doors.

The thing that's the saddest about the disease is that they slowly seem like they are moving out yet they are still there, you know. We were talking to a gentleman with quite progressive alzheimer's and he looked at you like he knew what he was talking about in his mind or what he wanted to say but he just couldn't get it out. Instead of asking our name like "So what is your name" he would say "so your name leaves in the hamburger". The one thing he was able to get out was "please come see". It made us all tear up because we then realized that this was going to happen to Justin's mom sooner than later. Today when I was helping her unpack and visiting with the nurses she thought I was her daughter and that Justin was her son in law, and then later on she was telling the nurses she had three sons and named two of them and forgot the third and was so sad cuz she couldn't remember the name. It was just heartbreaking.

Out of all this heartache, Yvonne is still smiling. I mean some days she is finding it hard to cope and shows it but for the most part she has such a strong feeling and belief that God is hugging her the whole time. It's amazing to see her hold such faith during this war she's battling in her mind. I mean if it were me I'd be cursing...she is praising God that something good will come from this. She's just an inspiration.

Can I ask for a few more prayers. I would like to pray for Yvonne, she is only 55 and having to go through all this and it has to be scarey for her. Also for all the others dealing with alzheimers that they all find comfort and peace. Help them to not be forgotten as they are still in there....somewhere!!

1 comment:

SarahJ said...

I cannot imagine how hard that must be. I have two friends right now that are going through the same thing with their grandma's and they say it is just heartbreaking. One of my friends grandmas forgets she has put pants on so some days she will put on two or three pairs. While kinda of humerous, also very sad.

So anyways, Justin's mom will definately be in our prayers as will your family because I know that watching someone slowly slip away is a very hard thing to go through. We love you guys!